As soon as you decide you are moving long distance, it is not too early to start thinking about the following details.
- Lock-in your move date as soon as possible.
- Schedule your move date and services immediately, so you are assured availability!
- Ask about our packing and unpacking services.
- Not taking everything? Arrange to store your items in one of Ferguson’s secure container storage facilities.
- Prepare a detailed inventory list for moving insurance.
- Make sure all passports are valid and up to date (if needed).
- Do you need immigration documents? Start applying now.
4 TO 6 WEEKS OUT:
- Arrange for utilities at your new home and set up cancellation of accounts at your current home for the day after moving day.
- If you are moving cities: notify schools, physicians, dentists, veterinarian, etc.
- Begin sorting your possessions. Determine items to be moved, sold at yard sale, and/or donated to charity.
- Get enough cartons and packing materials. Remember Ferguson can supply everything you need. Plus, you can order supplies online.
- Reserve an elevator in your building for the day of the move (if applicable).
2 TO 3 WEEKS OUT:
- Return all borrowed items (like local library books) and check dry cleaners, storage, and repair shops for your items (especially if moving far away.)
- Consider and arrange a babysitter/pet sitter for your moving day.
- Arrange for house cleaning to happen after you move out.
1 WEEK OUT:
- Back up your computer files before packing your computer systems.
- Clean out your refrigerator and defrost freezer.
- Pack a bag for moving day with a change of clothes and anything else you may need to have easy access to.
- Walk movers through your home indicating special care items.
- Do a final walk through to check all cupboards, behind doors, all storage areas, and the garage.
- Label the rooms in your new home, so our movers can place boxes and furniture in the right room at the other end of the move.
This moving checklist is a useful guide for any long distance move, but if you have anymore questions please contact your Ferguson Move Manager.